Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Outsmarting your inner hoarder

You know your decluttering enemy - it's you.  You, and that little whisper in your head as you handle each thing that owns you:

"Keep just
this one."

When you hear that whisper, fight with all you've got.  Here's some practice ammunition (see bullets :-)

Enemy Whispers

1. I might use this someday.
  • Someone else can use this today.

2. I paid good money for this.
  • My good money will be worth it once this gets used.

3. I might miss this if I get rid of it.
  • What's the worst thing that would happen if I miss it?

4. If I fixed this, I'd use it.
  • I stored this instead of fixing it - I probably won't ever fix it.

5. Oh, the memories!
  • I could keep a photo, or a piece, or just one memento, and that would be just as good.

6. I'm going to start doing that again.
  • Oh yeah?  When?

7. It's not taking up much room in that box.
  • How many storage boxes belong in my life?

8. My kids could use it when they set up their own house. 
  • My kids will have the same shops to choose anything they need, when they need it.  I don't need to run an amateur junk shop.


The world is stuffed

Close your eyes and imagine:

...your pile of unused stuff.
...adding the unused stuff from every house in your neighbourhood.  Now your city.  Now your country.
...all the factories producing more stuff every second.
...all the people who don't even have what they need and can't afford to buy new or buy at all.
...being a part of the solution instead of the problem.

It's easy.  Just take a deep breath, and let go.

Someone will thank you for it.  It might even be you.

No comments:

Post a Comment